10/05/2009

After 2 years...

That's right. After 2 years, I have finally decided to blog again. To me, this is a big and bold step lunging into the 'darkness' again.

To refresh your memory, I usually write on stuff that is on my mind. No, I'm not talking about updating your status like on Facebook. This, my friends, is a whole new level. A never before seen, state of the art... (ok, back to the point) Since I have not been blogging for a good two years or so, I thought it would be good to write on something that my blog portrays, which is... Optimism. Now I don't know if the root word for that is "Optimistic" or not, but I safely assume that it is.

Anyway, to get the ball rolling, what does optimism mean? I've done a good old 2 seconds Googling and this is what I've found:

"Optimism is an inclination to put the most favorable construction upon actions and events or to anticipate the best possible outcome"

Bravo! Don't you just love the sound of that? I sure do love it. To make things more interesting, it is stated that "Optimists generally believe that people and events are inherently good, so that most situations work out in the end for the best".

Now, I just want all of you to think about this: "How many times have you been in a situation where you might be thinking 'What have I done wrong?' or 'Could this situation get any worse?' or you know, something along those lines." It is safe to say that optimists DO NOT think that way.

We (by this, I assume that you are also an optimist for reading this post) generally think that all those situations are inherently good. Therefore, instead of thinking like the above mentioned, I personally like to think 'It is not that I have done anything wrong but it's possible that it wasn't meant to be this way' or instead of thinking 'could this situation...', I prefer to look for things that I can learn from the 'bad' situation. Noticed how I typed 'bad' in inverted commas, because for me, there is no such thing as a 'bad' situation. It's just good or not so good. Period.

I like to think that optimism relates closely with religion as well. Side note: I am thinking of writing on religion and spirituality in my next post. This is because religion usually 'trains' someone up to have an optimistic way of thinking. This is an undisputed fact.

What's the hardest part of being an optimist? It's not the thinking that is the problem but the act itself is not easy. As we often hear the phrase 'it is easier said than done'. That, I believe is just another good old cliché. If you are determined to do something, you are definitely going to get it done. Example: when you are hungry at night and you want to eat, do you not eat? Yes, you may not want to eat maybe because you are lazy or on a diet. Point here is that: you are determined enough to take whatever action is needed. I know, it might not sound as simple as this in reality but truth be told, it is. Let's have another one of those cliché - truth hurts.

So, with this, I leave it to all of you to think for yourselves, to be [an optimist] or not to be? I know my answer, do you know yours?

Currently plugged in to: Stay by Estrella

No comments: